The Scottish Government has issued new guidance for people looking to view properties during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Their key message is that people should use virtual viewings before visiting properties in person where possible, in order to minimise public health risks.
Click here to read more about our virtual tours.
If any member of either the household being viewed or the household undertaking a viewing is showing symptoms of COVID-19 or is self-isolating, then a physical viewing should be delayed.
All viewings should take place by appointment and only involve members of a single household.
In addition, the government says:
- Physical viewings should only be conducted where people are seriously considering making an offer on, or renting, a property, or where a prospective tenant is being offered a rental property and a virtual viewing is not possible.
- Viewings should be conducted by appointment only and no open house viewings should take place.
- If your property is being viewed, while you are living in it, you should open all the internal doors prior to the viewing.
- Where possible, all members of the household to vacate the property whilst viewings are taking place, unless you are conducting the viewing, in order to minimise contact with those not in your household.
- Before viewing a property, all parties should wash their hands with soap and water or use alcohol-based hand rub (hand sanitiser) and avoid touching surfaces where possible.
- The government recommends that people wear a face-covering during any viewing or valuation activities related to moving home.
- You should restrict the number of people who accompany you on a viewing so that physical distancing can be practised. Only those in your immediate household and/or your agent should accompany you.
- All surfaces, such as door handles, should be cleaned with standard household cleaning products before and after each viewing and towels disposed of safely or washed as appropriate.
Speak to an expert
If you would like to speak to one of our property experts about moving home, click here.